With Solutions Summit just around the corner, I recently stumbled upon a great blog that addresses questions regarding AB12 (recent legislation that extends support of foster youth until 21 years of age).  The original post can be accessed at https://ab12questionoftheweek.wordpress.com/

A few of the recent questions addressed are below:

Head Start Eligibility for Youth in a SILP

Q: I am a CASA working with a parenting Non-Minor Dependent (NMD) who lives in a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP). I am working with her to enroll her child in Head Start. She has been asked to provide her income. Is the $838 she receives monthly through her SILP counted as income?

A: No. The receipt of a foster care payment, including a SILP payment, is not counted as income for the purposes of determining her eligibility for Head Start. The Internal Revenue Service has specific criteria to determine if income a meets the definition of a welfare payment and therefore is not counted. Foster care payments made to a NMDs meet the criteria for the general welfare exception.

This case was made successfully to the U.S. Department of Education regarding the receipt of student financial aid. In July 2013, the U.S. Department of Education clarified that foster care payments are excluded as income for the calculation of student aid.

Loss of Community College Fee Waiver

Q: I am working with a foster youth enrolled in extended foster care attending a community college. He struggled academically during his first year and as a result ended up on academic probation for two consecutive terms. He was told that he no longer qualifies for the Board of Governors (BOG) fee waiver as a result. Is this true?

A: No, this is not true. New requirements were put into effect this year that mandate that students become ineligible for the BOG fee waiver if the student is placed on academic or progress probation for two consecutive primary terms, however foster youth are exempt from this requirement.

Reference: Section 58621(a)(2) of subchapter 7 of chapter 9 of division 6 of title 5 of the California Code of Regulations

Is There an Upper Age for the Infant Supplement?

Q: I am a social worker in a THP+FC program and was told recently by a county social worker that the infant supplement ends when the child turns age 3. Is that the case?

A: No, there is no upper age for a youth in foster care to receive the infant supplement, either in statue or regulation.

The infant supplement for a youth living in a group home is $890 per month and the infant supplement for a youth living in other placement settings is $411 per month.

Source: WIC 11465, All County Letter 14-44

For more questions and answers, please check out the original blog at https://ab12questionoftheweek.wordpress.com/







Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s